Foggy start Friday; festival goers to get heavy rain, storms Sunday and Monday

National Weather Service
National Weather Service

Friday forecast for Austin: Patchy fog is plaguing morning commuters across the Austin metro area again as the National Weather Service has issued a dense fog advisory for the region until 9 a.m. Visibility is limited to 1 to 3 miles, but in some locations it can quickly drop to a quarter-mile. Drivers should use their low-beam headlights, put some distance between the car in front and take it slow.

Sorry, for all you folks headed to the Old Settler’s Music Festival or the Austin Reggae Festival this weekend, it’s not good news.

The big weather threat looming is a large slow-moving storm system from the west that’s expected to produce heavy rain this weekend and into next week. At its worst, the system may generate strong to severe thunderstorms and possible flooding on Sunday and Monday, the National Weather Service says. The highest risk of flash flooding will most likely exist from Sunday afternoon through Tuesday morning, forecasters say.

Meanwhile on Friday, once the fog burns away after 10 a.m., the cloudy skies should turn sunny, with temperatures climbing up to 79. Clouds increase again at night, but the humidity and Gulf moisture brought in by the south-southeast winds will keep temperatures from slipping any lower than 63.

Rain chances increase to 30 to 40 percent on Saturday, suggesting possible scattered showers may arrive in the Austin metro area, but mainly after 2 p.m., the weather service says.

National Weather Service
National Weather Service

As mentioned earlier, the heavy stuff kicks in on Sunday, mainly after 8 a.m., forecasters say, as southeast winds start blowing at 10 to 15 mph with gusts as high as 20 mph. Rain chances ramp up to 70 to 80 percent. Temperatures are expected to remain in the upper 70s over the next few days.

Monday’s outlook calls for an 80 percent chance of rain, but what that really means is more of the thunderstorms that are supposed to drench the area Sunday night will continue to produce heavy rainfall throughout Central Texas.

Starting Tuesday, rain chances are expected to decrease — first slipping to 60 percent — but heavy rain and storms are still likely, mainly before 8 a.m., the weather service says. By nightfall, rain chances should drop to 40 percent. When it’s all said and done, a three-day (Sunday to Tuesday) rainfall total of  7 inches is expected in some areas, forecasters say.

Rain remains in the forecast Wednesday and Thursday, with 30 and 40 percent chances, respectively. Temperatures should stay in the upper 70s for both days.


Statesman Weather app keeps Central Texans forewarned

The all-new American-Statesman weather app is available for iPhone and Android devices. Statesman Weather features include radar, a 7-day forecast, real-time severe weather alerts, as well as the latest weather news and social sharing. Download for free in the Apple iTunes and Google Play stores by searching for “Statesman Weather.”


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s